Since its opening in 1971, Walt Disney World has played host to millions of families every year becoming the global destination for making magical memories with family and friends. The second half-century of magic will begin this October with a brand new celebration that will span the entire resort.
Beginning this October, guests will experience a uniquely Disney event they’re calling – The World’s Most Magical Celebration. Disney even coined a neologism “EARidescence” to describe the costumes and park icon overlays that will be the hallmark of the anniversary
What you need to know:
- Start date: October 1, 2021
- End date: April 1, 2023
- All Four Park Icons are getting an EARidescent makeover and Mickey and Minnie Mouse are getting new costumes. More details will be announced at a future date.
What was announced:
The announcement revealed that all four parks icons would be getting new treatments for the 50th:
- Cinderella Castle will illuminate Magic Kingdom with a dazzling radiance that sparkles with pixie dust. The new treatment will add to its 2020 gold and pink makeover with new gold bunting, sparkling golden embellishments, and other enhancements, including a 50th-anniversary crest welcoming guests to join the festivities.
- At Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the Tree of Life will add new warm light and magical fireflies will gather to usher in the magic of nature.
- The Hollywood Tower Hotel at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will feature a new digital projection show that will paint it with designs evoking the golden age of imagination and adventure.
- And at EPCOT, new lights will shine across the reflective panels of Spaceship Earth, connecting to one another in a symbol of optimism resembling stars in a nighttime sky. This new look will continue beyond The World’s Most Magical Celebration as a defining feature of the park.
These new decorations promise shimmer and glamour long into the night at all four parks.
Which do you like best?
Using digital projections to add a nighttime glow to the Hollywood Tower of Terror is a good low-cost way of celebrating the anniversary. Better than giving it an entire new paint job.
Additionally, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will get new costumes for the 50th anniversary. The costumes will feature celebratory designs including beautifully embroidered impressions of Cinderella Castle backed by fireworks, as well as a brocade in multi-toned, EARidescent fabric – all punctuated with pops of gold.
What’s the bottom line?
Like many companies, The Walt Disney Company has had to adjust its business plans due to the pandemic. No division has been hit harder than its theme parks, so while there may have been big plans for the 50th anniversary back in 2019, it’s no shock that what will be coming in 2021 will be scaled back. How scaled back likely depends on how fast their business recovers.
That said, the announcement this morning was, there’s no getting around it, underwhelming. Disney has promised more announcements in the future. Hopefully, that will include new nighttime shows (beyond HarmonioUS at EPCOT).
If you plan to visit during the 50th anniversary, the time to start planning is now. Walt Disney World is already accepting reservations for its resort hotels through 2022.